Friday 14 December 2012

Chapter 1: Intro


     An Account Of The Whitechapel Murders

Permit me to introduce myself. My name is Fr. Ignazio Garcione. I am a Jesuit priest and scholar.
I was born in Sicily on 15 August 1829. My family moved to London when I was a small boy
in 1834. I retain a few precious memories of my country of origin. The most pervasive are those
of sapphire seas, azure skies and uncommonly sweet lemons. I have been here for so many years, I'm now accustomed to grey skies, biting cold and suffocating smog.
  So long have I dwelt in her belly, this Jonah now loves his leviathan. Love her as I do
I sometimes like to revisit the Mediterranean. I have travelled to Rome on several occasions.
The last time was in 1874, when the head of my order assigned me to a special unit,
one with a particular interest in occult phenomena. We are charged with investigating unusual
occurrences, particularly those of a demonic nature.
I am not at liberty to name the head of our department. Suffice it to say he is an eminent scholar
and experienced exorcist. For the duration of my report I will refer to him simply as X.L, infer
from that what you will.
  My story starts in July 1888 and relies heavily upon excerpts from the journal of a remarkable
young woman. She was directly involved with these unholy occurrences.
 I have been acquainted with the Doran family for many years. I met her father Joseph, a respected Irish surgeon in the 1850's at an exhibition of his wife's paintings. His wife Brigitte is from Brittany, originally an actress, she retired from the stage when she married Joseph and turned her hand to painting. Seraphina, their daughter is the lady whose involvement brought the case to my attention.
 She is a rather singular woman. Tall and angular, with intense amber eyes and auburn hair. Her features are those of a classical Venus and yet, she is far more at home at a dissection than a
debutante's ball. Having inherited not only her father's analytical brain but also his strong stomach,
she decided to follow in his footsteps and is now a doctor herself. Because of her gender she has
encountered many obstacles, though she has persevered with characteristic determination.
Undeterred by her dreadful experiences last autumn she has chosen to devote the rest of her life
to the study of obscure diseases. At just 27 years of age I envisage a promising career ahead.
Rather than continuing to extol her virtues, shall for the moment, be silent and allow the lady
to speak for herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment